Housekeeping cottages in beautiful Ontario, Canada
Lloyds Cottages
Much to Offer
Area Attractions
Rates & Pet Policy
Summer 2022
Kids Fun 2022
The List 2022
Big Fish 2022
US/CA Regs & Laws
Clear Lake Sunsets
History and Longevity


* All operaters of motor boats on Ontario lakes must hold a "Pleasure Craft Operator Card" starting in September 2009.    A license is not needed if you only rent a boat for a week or two.

* If you do not currently hold a license/certificate you can go on line to BoaterExam.com, read some short study pages, and take the test on line.  This is easy and quick.

* If you currently hold a license from any state or federal department it will be recognized in Ontario waters.    

* You can also buy a really informative book at Canadian Tire for about $20, study it, then go to Lens Cove Marina in Portland and take the test in person.  

*Another alternative is to check out your home state boater's website to see if you can take their test on line.  ​  This also will be recognized by the Ontario Provincial Police.  


* Cllick on Ontario Boating Safety for current laws and information.


* It is illegal to fish for Bass (or any other species) before the season opens, even if you are going to release them. It is especially damaging to bass during the spawning and rearing season in the spring. When adult bass are removed from their nests the eggs and young bass are left unprotected and subject to predation.

* Fishing license requirements for our area, are spelled out on the Ontario Fishing License website. We are in Zone 18. 

* In a nutshell, as the current law stands, fishing for Northern Pike is open from January 1 to March 31 and 2nd Saturday in May to December 31. Fishing for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass is open from the 3rd Saturday in June to November 30. This is a change from the past. As of 2013, opening of Bass is the 3rd Saturday of June.

* Licenses are required for all US citizens over the age of 18. Children do not need licenses if they are accompanied by an adult who holds a license, but the child's catch is counted as part of the adult's limit. Children under the age of 18 may buy their own license in order to fish alone and have their own limit. 

* Licenses are available for an 8 day Conservation which allows you to catch and keep 2 bass a day or an 8 day Sport which allows you to catch and keep 6 bass a day. These same two types of licenses are also available for the whole season. These licenses also require the purchase of a 3 year "outdoor card" for an additional fee. A 1 day license is available without the purchase of the "outdoor card."

* Prices change annually so you will need to check out the Ontario web site for the current prices. 

* "Keeper' bass must measure more than 12 inches.  

* Another source for the current regulations is the Rideau Info site created by Ken Watson mentioned on another page of this website.  

The Ministry of Natural Resources has a rather complex zoning system for fishing, however the following summarizes some of the key points for the Rideau region (Zone 18). Prior to embarking on a fishing adventure, be sure the read all the regulations (available on the MNR website, see below) carefully:

​Species Season

Bass* (Largemouth & Smallmouth) 3rd Saturday in June to December 15**
Walleye ( Pickerel) Jan 1 to March 1 and 2nd Saturday in May to Dec. 31
Northern Pike Jan 1 to March 31 and 2nd Saturday in May to Dec. 31
Lake Trout 4th Saturday in May to Sept. 8
Muskellunge 1st Saturday in June to Dec. 15
Perch, Crappie, Sunfish, Whitefish, Catfish Open all year

AS OF JUNE 2009 ALL AMERICAN CITIZENS WILL NEED EITHER A PASSPORT OR A PASSPORT CARD (or one of the following other approved documents) IN ORDER TO RE-ENTER THE USA. On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government implemented the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship. See the Department of Homeland Security's (www.dhs.gov) for more information on the changing travel requirements.

  Tip: For domestic travelers within the U.S and U.S territories 
*Note: All travel is assumed to originate from the U.S or U.S territories (American Samoa, 
Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Swains Island, U.S. Virgin Islands). 

U.S citizens can use any of the following documents to travel to Canada :

Acceptable Documents: one of the following documents should be presented to prove both identity and citizenship.
U.S. Passport Book 
U.S. Passport Card 
NEXUS card (For U.S-CANADA Land and limited Sea Ports use only.) 
FAST card (For Land use only.) 
State Issued Enhanced Driver’s License 
Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available) 
U.S. Military Identification 
U.S. Merchant Mariner Document 
Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card 
I-872 American Indian Card 

Please visit the Department of Homeland and Security for the latest travel requirements by land and sea.

For important safety and security information please read our Country Specific Information on Canada 

* In order to keep tabs on the laws, check out the State Department link, where we hope you will be able to get correct and up to date information. 

* The "passport card" rather than an actual passport, which limits travel to Canada and Mexico by land, is available and is cheaper than an actual passport. We realize that for families with small children, this is a large extra expense to your vacation and we are glad that our government has found a way to keep Canadian tourism viable for our American guests. Click on the above link in order to find out how to apply for your passport or passport card  


Passport Book - adult 1st time $ 165.00 + $35.00 processing fee
Passport Book - minor $ 80.00 + $35.00 processsing fee
Passport Book Renewal - Adult $ 130.00 
Passport Card - Adult $ 30.00 + $35.00 processing fee
Passport Card - Child $ 15.00 + $35.00 processing fee

* For information of Border Crossing Regulations (food, pets, firearms, alcohol, cigarettes, etc.)  
  check out Canada Border Services Agency.  

* To see what the wait is at the any border at any given time, click on Border Wait Times.